You know you should delegate more. So why don't you?
Not delegating keeps you in the weeds of the business. It prevents your business from growing. It keeps you doing $10/hour tasks instead of $1000/hour tasks. It keeps you from growing.
So why not?
I didn't do it because I thought three things:
- I don't know if they can actually do good work. It probably won't be as good as I can.
- It's easier to just do it myself
- What if they screw something up? How can I trust them?
First, my answers. Then, how to get better at it.
1. You're right. You don't KNOW if they can actually do good work. They might do better work than you. They might not.
Most of my people do better work than I would do.
Yes, I find mistakes. But I'd just make other mistakes if I was doing it. Or I just wouldn't do it at all.
And that's the kicker.
There is a definite limit to what you can get done. Time.
2. You're right, it's easier to do it yourself. But this is short term thinking.
You're selling your time for easy. When do you ever do the easiest thing?
You do the right thing!
The thing that will maximize your time/growth/profit down the road.
So yes, it's easier to do it yourself once or twice. Once you get past 2-3 times of doing something, it's almost always better to have spent that time teaching someone else to do it.
Time.
3. You're right. They might mess something up. I had a google ads person (who I trained) once spend $30,000 with almost zero return. It was rough.
That was 14 years ago. She has run my google ads since then and spent (and made) millions. She's definitely better at it than I am.
I haven't touched a google ad in years and years. Time.
She made a mistake. A big mistake.
She got better at it and has made up for it many times over.
Time and money.
How to get better at delegatingWhat follows is the opposite of what most gurus will tell you.Step 1 - Find one thing to hand off
You don't need to make a huge list or track everything you do all day (wow...I would hate doing this). You just need to find one thing you're doing that is taking your time that you could teach someone else to do.
One low value task.
You're looking for anything that is lower value than your highest value task.
Lead generation
Data entry
Video editing
Social media content creation
Design
GHL admin
Shopify
SEO
Appointment setting
The worst advice people will give you here is to stick with what you're best at and delegate everything else.
WRONG!
Delegate everything that isn't the highest value task. And if what you're best at isn't the highest value task, delegate it.
Step 2 - Hire someone
It's really really hard to make delegation plans when you don't have someone to delegate to. It's hard even to think about delegating if you don't know who to give the work to. It's hard to make training when there's nobody to give that training to.
Hiring someone is a critical step towards getting better at delegating.
You already figured out what you're going to hand off. You know the kind of person you need. Hire them.
Your brain starts the delegating process as soon as you have someone to delegate to.
Step 3 - Make training
Yeah, I know you want to make training before you hire someone.
<-- that's backward!
What if the person you find already knows how? You wasted your time making training.
Make your training after you've hired someone.
How?
A Loom video. It's the easiest way to teach someone to do what you want done. You could use Snagit or TinyTake or Screencast-o-matic or any screen capture system.
Record yourself talking through the thing you're handing off. Show them what you're thinking.
It doesn't have to be hours long.
And it doesn't have to cover everything.
Start with a small piece. Then add more until you trust them.
Step 4 - Teach context and the why
It's easiest to just teach steps. But teaching steps falls short when an odd situation comes up.
Teach them the why behind the task.
Teach them the context around the task.
Giving more lets them solve problems when they arise.
Step 5 - Let go of perfection
Perfection prevents "done".
Yes, you can expect someone to do something to a standard that you set.
But perfection is rarely more important than just getting something done.
Set a standard for success and help them get there.
Why this works
1. Because the aim is to get time back
When delegation is aimed at adding something to your business, it adds to your load. The motivation isn't there.
The aim of delegation at first needs to be to get time back.
2. Because you know what success looks like.
It's easy to hire someone to do something you know how to do.
It's easy to teach something you know how to do.
It's easy to bring on someone if you know what they're doing.
It's all hard if you don't know what you're doing.
3. Because you hired someone.
You HAVE to give them work to do. You HAVE to help them accomplish what you want done. Delegation required.
And, you know who you're going to delegate to. It frees your brain.
When you're ready to get better at delegating, let me know what the one task is. Then head to
OnlineJobs.ph and search to see if you can find a couple qualified people (you can).
John
No comments:
Post a Comment