Monday, July 27, 2026

Masterclass Part 2: Why using eLance (upwork) didn't work for me

Turnover is the worst!

It's one of the biggest fears when hiring a VA. 

Am I going to waste my time?
Is this VA going to jump ship at the first better job offer they get?

The first time I used Upwork (actually this is before elance turned into upwork) I thought I had found the perfect outsourcing solution.

I didn't realize that their system is set up to incentivize turnover!
To incentivize jumping ship.

It's subtle, but think about this.

A new worker has no reviews. The only way to get reviews is to get a job, but the only way to get a job is to set your price really low.
So they get a low paying job and complete the job to get a review.
They can then get another job and get another review.
Then they can raise their price.

And so the cycle goes.  

Every review means they're not working for that employer any more.  

Turnover. 

This is a sick system!

When hiring locally you don't hire someone based on reviews of past employers.
If you're an employer, you don't leave reviews of your employees in public.
That's like saying "I found someone great! Come hire them away from me!"

Ridiculous.

So here's the tip.
Masterclass Tip #2 - Contract work seems awesome.  It’s low commitment and low risk.
It’s also low reward, and often it has a net negative for you, the business owner.

Hiring contract workers or per-project workers almost always gives you more work to do. 

It’s short term thinking.

Yet it has become normal in our sick culture because "there's no loyalty anymore."

Or is there?

This is part of the magic of the Philippines.
Filipinos are loyal almost to a fault.  
Filipinos don't jump ship. 
If you treat them well, they’ll work for you forever.

The first person I ever hired (in 2005) still works for me today.

What if you could hire people with zero turnover?

Find loyal, hard working, honest people at OnlineJobs.ph

John
 




Our mailing address is:
OnlineJobs.ph 770 E Main St Ste 250 Lehi, UT 84043-2293 USA

unsubscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Insight

Architecting AI for Production | Connect 2026

Hear from engineering teams at Ramp, Runway, Discord and more. The agenda for Cloudflare Connect 2026 is almost locked in. ...

Trending Now