Friday, July 31, 2026

Masterclass Part 5: How I began living the 4 hour work week

In 2007 my wife was 7 months pregnant with our third child.  
We’d left for the doctor’s office that morning for what we thought was a routine check up.

After running some tests, the doctor came in with a solemn look. “You have preeclampsia. You need to immediately observe strict bedrest. If you don’t, you may have a seizure and lose the baby, or possibly die yourself.”

My throat started to swell.
My brain started to race.
Did I just hear that correctly?

Have you ever experienced this kind of abrupt disruption in your daily routine?

Most days are normal. The world turns. Life moves. Everything is fine.

And then one day, you get the kind of news that snaps you out of your routine coma. Your perspective transforms into a kind of tunnel vision. Your feet slam onto the ground of reality, and the air is knocked from your chest. It hurts, and you’re scared.

But at the same time, you experience a sort of redemption. When that ‘tunnel vision’ hits, there’s only enough room and light at the end of the tunnel to see the things that are truly the most important to you. The faces that bring meaning to your life, the ideals that you strive to become and achieve…those things consciously become your entire world. 

That’s exactly how I felt. All I knew is that we had two other young kids, I was working full-time and there was no way I could keep working. I was not about to lose a baby over money. So I committed then and there, I was going to take care of my wife, two rambunctious toddlers and my unborn baby girl, whatever the sacrifice.

I wrote an email to my two online Filipino specialists to explain what was happening. I let them know I couldn’t work and that they wouldn’t be hearing from me much. I asked them to continue to do what I’d taught them and try to keep the business afloat. 

And then I got to work on my new full-time job as caregiver.

You won’t believe what happened next. I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow.

Masterclass Tip 5a: Get the help you need in your business before you NEED it. 

Masterclass Tip 5b: Hire someone for their english skills.

Most people will benefit more from hiring someone with great english than from hiring someone with a specific skill. 

At least...in the beginning.

Someone with great english can learn to do all kinds of tasks for you. Their command of english usually indicates they’ll learn other things faster and easier.  

Great english gives you flexibility to teach them all kinds of tasks that will be helpful to you and to your business.

John

PS. Here are answers to the top 9 questions I get asked about hiring OFS:  OFSGuide.com

-----

Our mailing address is:
OnlineJobs.ph 770 E Main St Ste 250 Lehi, UT 84043-2293 USA

unsubscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Insight

We're here to help with your UHS onboarding

A few onboarding items still need your attention. ...

Trending Now